Okay, let's be honest, I don't just have a blog, I have a 360, a Myspace, thanks to my daughters I have an empty Facebook, I have this blog (if you can call it that for all I've blogged) and some days I've thought of adding a knitting blog, a sewing blog and an I'm a mama and a grandmama blog. This is getting out of hand don't you think? And yet still, I feel compelled to sometimes write a blog - to articulate some issue I'm grappling, to post a photo of some project I've finished, to vent and to support others. But clearly, none of those moments are enough to sustain a full-blown blog in each little piece of my life.
Initially, I wanted to keep separate blogs because I did not want students or colleagues to read posts about my personal life but, I think the lines between work and personal grow more and more blurry. I knit sometimes at work, the textile students learn to knit each quarter and so, knitting once a week in the library is a service for the students, and it helps my door counts a bit. But the knitting I do there, is for ME. Then again, I answer work emails at home, I do bits and pieces of projects at home in the evenings; certainly many of the books I read are for work, but I love my work and so perhaps those are for ME too. I might not want my colleagues to read about a personal struggle - as if my colleagues couldn't find that 360 or that MySpace if they wanted to - or worse, as if my colleagues don't have personal struggles of their own.
So, perhaps of laziness, perhaps of some need to stomp my foot and declare, "I am a WHOLE PERSON, not fragmented bits of this and that!", I intend to blog here about my whole life, my life which includes my librarian's hours, my knitting and sewing, my mothering and grandmothering, partnering and reading. I am all these things and many more and I suspect so is everyone else.
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you found some inspiration for your postcards. There are lots of us out there!
ReplyDeleteI see you are a knitter. I pick up the needles from time to time but fabric is my passion.
I'll drop by again soon!