Friday, December 12, 2008

Good Journey, Bob

I have received news this morning that a wonderful man, someone I consider a role model has passed from us.

Bob Landman, of Indianapolis, owned Good Earth for as long as I can remember. And, Good Earth has been as much a part of my life as any church or organization in which I have participated. I started shopping at Good Earth when I was 20. Bob's little store has seen all of my children through their births and the scrapes and bruises of childhood. When I divorced, Bob was there in a quiet and friendly way. When I was broke, Bob made sure that my family had the necessities. Bob was able to dialoge about herbs, and though he had an opinion, he was always respectful of the conclusions drawn by others. I cannot recall a time when I spoke with him that he did not have a smile, or a kind glance. And, he was rarely without a joke, or an impromptu silly song.

I remember once, when Bob explained to me how he derived the proper retail price, he explained exactly how he put the concept of the "mark-up" into practice and I know it was quite different, and much less, than other retailers. I believe Bob was fair and honest with his employees, as evidenced by the fact that several of them have been with Bob since the very early days. I call Bob, and many of these employees, my friends, my community. Bob supported local midwives and their clients. And, over the years, my adult children have been nourished by not only the wholesome goods that Bob provided, but have also grown into this community of friends.

At a time when larger retailers have been popular, Bob remained a neighborhood shop. With integrity, creativity, some really hard work, and a whole lot of fun Bob succeeded in a difficult business. I will miss him. When I go back to visit Indy, Good Earth is always one of the first places that I stop, and I return to Seattle with bags full of little treats. But more, I carry the memory of this friend and all that he has given me.

Good Journey, Bob. We will all miss you.

1 comment:

  1. Bob sounds like a special, gentle man. People like him who populate our lives make the world special. I am sure that someone from his store will carry on his legacy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee