Bear has lived with me for just a bit over three months now. It's been a real adventure. During that time I've attempted to "teach" Bear a great many things. Once in awhile I am successful and that's a real high. Other times I'm absolutely not successful and that's a real puzzle. And then, there are those times when I think Bear has learned, but he also has some ideas of his own, and that's humbling.On occasion, when the "learning" appears to work I realize that I have somehow, magically, "gotten it right." Then there are those times when I just likely have not consistently applied the right stimulus with the hoped for response. And there are those times when I have been consistent but I imagine the stimulus simply did not match up to the response that Bear wanted to give - I mean, after all Dr. Fetterman, he's not a pigeon or a white rat. I'm pretty sure he's a little more complex and I'm also pretty sure of my memory that while I got an "A", I was not very a very inspired student and I just sort of "did the work." (Hence my confidence that Dr. Fetterman will never see this post or have any memory of me whatsoever. I get some sort of perverse pleasure though that I remember him and that rat so very well).
Then, there are those times when I realize that Bear has learned something which I did not intend to teach. Oh, I have a dozen or so examples, most of them too embarrassing to mention and so we'll stick with this somewhat benign example.
Each and every time, doesn't matter if it's 2 AM or 1 PM, doesn't matter if Bear is in a dead coma sleep, that I slide my keyboard tray beneath my desk, Bear jumps up and runs to the door. He knows. He knows that the noise of that keyboard tray means that I am on the move and this his desire, to go outside, is more likely to be fulfilled. He's pretty smart that Bear of mine.
So? I can hear your brains clicking away, "so what?" Silly dog runs to the door each time the keyboard tray goes click, click, click. Well, the point is this: I did not intend to pair this stimulus with that response. Nope. Not ever once did it cross my mind. Bear picked this up all by himself; in his complex doggie brain he figured it all out.
The punchline? It's got me wondering about how many other things I have taught Bear (and my children, my friends, my co-workers, my students, get it?) without ever having intended to teach them anything at all. I'm betting that maybe I should pay attention, yes? Because I'm pretty sure I'm teaching a whole bunch of STUFF that I don't want anyone to learn. Yeah - I'm pretty sure that I should pay attention to clicking keyboard trays and tones of voice and the list goes on....
You?




What a deep and thought provoking post today...I dare say we all 'teach' things we would rather not pass down. This should give us all pause to reflect on our actions, emotions, all we display to those around us...we must become the models we hope our children will become! Thank you for your lovely comments on my post, your words were very much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteHmmmm yeah I'm with you there..especially the children part!!
ReplyDeleteWe have a very smart border collie/Aussie cross. Sweet and calm and loving. I have an in home preschool. Each morning the first month or so she was with us she greeted everyone with wiggles and kisses and sometimes - well alot..licked the faces of parents taking childrens shoes off..uhmmm.. yuck. So.. I kept sending her from the room. Well she quit doing it and waited to greet the children. But...then when a new adult walked into the house she growled and then turns around and growled all the way down stairs. I was confused until one day a friend and dog trainer - whom she was growling at plopped down on the floor and called her over..she peed all the way across the room to her!!! OMG she wasn't being aggressive..she was scared I was gonna tell her to go downstairs. I felt like a beast and horrid. So we have been working on it. I only ask her to move now and not go down stairs..it seem to have worked. K there is my dog story..kind long. Hugs, Sarah
I can't believe you've had Bear for 3 months already! I think about this a lot too, with Lucy. Especially since she's starting to repeat a lot of the things I say. Lately she's taken to sighing and saying "I'm so tired of this". Whoops. Need to watch my attitude, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI have been trying to train the cats not to lick, eat from, or otherwise molest the dirty dishes in the sink by spraying them with water every time I catch them.
ReplyDeleteWhat I have taught them is to be sneaky.
I just got caught up on your blog. You've been so busy and you sound so excited about life. This is great to see. Enjoy your day!
ReplyDelete