Monday, July 7, 2008

I've not been completely idle!


I'll confess, I've spent a lot of time just sitting lately. Aside from spinning and trying to get my bearings though, I have managed to be a little bit productive. There's a nice little alcove in my sewing room and I managed to hang shelves there. Unlike all of those wonderful, enticing studios that ya'll photograph, my shelves looked like well, utility shelves after all was said and done. So.....the coffers running at near empty, I scounged around for fabric to curtain off that little storage area. I was lucky enough to be granted entrance to the storage rooms in our sewing department. I knew I needed lots of fabric and there weren't many bolts that had enough left. I kept walking past this pink, over and over I walked past the pink. Not pink! Please, not pink! Eventually I stood, listening...you know, the pink isn't so bad. And, it's kind of, just a little bit funky...not like me at all you know :) I always lean toward, greens, blues, even purples...never pink. Never pink since my youngest were red-heads and the pink, girly colors got left behind. Something about this though just seemed "right." Maybe because it's the only bolt with enough fabric left, sure...but there are no coincidences,eh? So, I scooped up the pink and off I went. Sewing up a curtain isn't exactly the most challenging project in the world you know - and so that was completed quickly. Of course, it took as long to get that rod up as it did to sew! All 5'4" of me balanced on one toe atop a shakey kitchen stool...but there she is. Ummm, those blue boxes on the shelf sort of kill the vibe I think...but....there's time for that, maybe I'll paint them the same deep read in the little circles. I feel a change coming on..and I often notice change in the colors to which I gravitate.

So! Since I'd chosen the bolt with the most fabric left, I myself had plenty left. And, what once looked like this:




Now looks like this:



Of course, there's that ugly skirt left beneath that I must figure out how to work. Even so, it's coming together really nicely and maybe next week sometime, I'll photo the whole room. It's lovely to sit and spin in there, the Western sun slides over my shoulders, and when it gets to be night time, I swear I can hear the peepers - though I'm sure there are none, outside the window. For now, I spin and let the changes take me where they will, trusting the process, trusting that all is perfect and the Universe knows. Soon, I will show you a skein of what will never be socks, but is nonetheless real YARN.

I figured it out as soon as I got alone. I had been trying to "copy" the woman teaching me to spin - usually a great way to begin. I was so disappointed when I left my short lesson; I had not "remembered" as I had hoped that I would. I continued to break the twist after not even a turn of the wheel. So, I sat alone in my sewing room and closed my eyes; remembering. Once I let my body remember, instead of forcing my brain to do the work; it all became clear. You see, I do some things right handed, and many more things left handed. Ahhhhh yes, I spin left-handed. Within minutes the wheel was whirring. Now, it's thread thin in many places, and wool thick in others, but it is yarn and consistency will come. As it is in the world....Let go and let God, don't think too hard, just let go and relax.

And, I'm trying.

~lee

1 comment:

  1. Your shelves are utilitarian-lovely. The curtains are great and the chair is "da bomb!" That fabric looks so vibrant.

    Even if you had been being idle - that would be okay.
    And careful - my daugher just stood on step-ladder recently and broke her collar-bone. Don't stand on rickety stuff especially without someone to spot you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee