I'm following along with Tarot Thursday and posting here about the exercises as we progress through the Tarot deck. I'm really grateful to have this study opportunity and I think I'm going to love sharing with you. I know, it's not crafting and it's not librarianing, but it's part of who I am and something I wish to share.Before beginning the first week's lesson, there was a discussion about choosing a Tarot deck. I wanted to speak some about that also. I love Tarot cards and even when I was very young, I was fascinated by the colors, the movement and the stories that I believed I saw in the cards. I spent most of my adult life in a New Age spiritual community and I was immersed in Tarot cards, astrology charts, past life regressions and the tenants of The Secret long before it was cool. So, I've seen a lot of Tarot decks. Some are quite beautiful, moving, mesmirizing even. But, at the end of the day, I always return to the Universal Waite deck. Other decks, like the Thoth deck and the Haindl Tarot are really special to me. Both of these decks speak to me very clearly; but the Waite deck dances with me and just brings me a feeling of perfection, receptivity, confidence and perfect surrender and balance. I love these images.
For our first exercise, Luna asks that we separate out the Major Arcana and lay those 22 cards out as in the photo below, and then, to share, if we wish, our responses as we dance with the cards a little while.

Ahem. Okay. The first thing I noticed wasn't about the cards at all. It was about me (but it always is, isn't it?). I'm such a hot shot sometimes, such a know-it-all. I've read about Jung's archetypes, I've done the groovy, cool Humanistic Psychology gatherings and rituals, I've read a million tarot books and I've given and received countless readings. But I've never done this exercise before! I've never thought about the specific step by step path through those archetypes. Brash and arrogant as I can be, I think this was my thought (if there was thought which I'm doubting): It begins with The Fool and progresses, culminating in The World. That's it. The beginning and the end, how much more do I need to really know? Hrumph! I thought I knew the meanings of the cards, or if I didn't know, They would tell me. But somehow, in my rush and arrogance, I never put the card with a number and followed the path! What an eye opener that was. About me, and about the cards.
So first I'm a little aghast. How come DEATH is right there! Why isn't DEATH either at the beginning or at the end? PPFFTT. You mean I have to go through ALL THAT and get SOMEWHERE only to die? How unfair is that? Man! I can feel the temper tantrum coming on strong now. And how come Temperence is right in the middle there, looking so sweet and pretty between DEATH and THE DEVIL??? That can't be right! And did you ever notice (well no Lee, of course you never noticed because you never spread the cards out in sequence) that after The Lovers, the other figures are pretty much solitary? And then, while I'm reeling with all this, I realized, at least I think I realized, that I've never drawn The Chariot. Can that be? I've pulled it for others, but I do not think in a reading for myself, whether I'm the reader or someone else is the reader, have I drawn the Chariot. I'm betting there's a story there.
I believe this will be an interesting journey. I hope you won't mind standing with me as I walk the path, and join along if you like.



:) This is such a great post! I love the thoughts and self facing that came up for you as you looked through the cards. I relate in many ways, because when I first did this exercise I had similar thoughts... had I ever really looked at them before then???
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to more!
e