Friday, October 10, 2008

Five Good Things


I had a look at my last weekend's To-Do List and realized that I accomplished almost everything on the list! That certainly started my day of right and once smiling, I was thinking about Five Good Things without even telling myself I needed to focus. And, my friends, I wasn't even thinking about writing my list for you; just me, thinking about some good things in my life.
  • My Grandson, new to kindergarten and new to a whole new life, has been having nightly melt-downs before bed. Daughter and I decided on a plan to hopefully avoid this unpleasant evening habit and last night it sure seemed like it worked. Daughter and son spent some alone time doing some special things and it was a fun, sweet evening all around. What a relief.
  • Oldest daughter sent a text message asking for the names of any she might forget from my family so that they can be invited to her wedding. She's planning ahead - a very good thing.
  • The air this morning is crisp and alive. That aliveness balances the cold, grey Seattle sky.
  • I had a fabulous time teaching yesterday. I love teaching.
  • The clematis outside my window has been slowly turning from white to pink over the last few days. I see now that I've gotten closer to take the photo, it's not really pink at all. From my window though, it looks pink. The yard is otherwise fairly drab and that soft pink haze draws my eyes each morning. It's beautiful to see as I sit here, it lends a pink glow to my thoughts and these days, that glow is profoundly welcome.

I think this is clematis. My Mother had several different kinds of this flower and this is the same thing which she called clematis, but I'm not sure she had that right. It doesn't look at all like the other flowering kinds she grew which I know are clematis. It's more like a wispy, delicate flower. From a distance, it almost looks like a vining astillbe. I think I'll try to confirm today that it is really clematis. And, I think this weekend that I'll turn some of it into wreaths. Whatever it is called, my mother used to make beautiful, fall wreaths from it and share with all her friends and family.

I hope your weekend is filled with Autumn delights. Apple cider sounds just right, don't you think? ~Lee

3 comments:

  1. I'll be drinking hot cider with my freshly fried apple cider doughnuts tomorrow. I'll toast to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, apple cider. Now I'm going to wonder what you guys did to turnaround the kid's behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, apple cider. Haven't had that in years! Thanks for the idea & before I went shopping, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee