Thursday, October 9, 2008

Such a Boob!


OH man....I got this Beautiful ATC in the mail today. Isn't that just the cutest thing? I'm always so touched when I get sweet little gifts in the mail. And, in this case, a tiny bit humiliated.

You see, my mother for several years in her life, made lovely little "paintings" by using dried flowers. I remember at the time being awestruck by these small trasures and I so wish that I had one now to remember her. I had not known, as a teenager (gasp!) that my mother had ever sewn anything by hand. She did all sorts of crafts - mostly using dried flowers. She made baskets and taught basket weaving, she did floral arranging and had beautiful gardens. But, somehow, in all of her talents and gifts, I'd never seen her hand sew not one single item. Even suddenly torn hems were oft repaired with a bit of whatever kind of tape she could find at hand. So, when I glimpsed by mother, hand sewing tiny, delicate dried flowers onto a fabric background, I was awestruck. So, when I saw the swap for beginners flower ATC; I was anxious to join in.

Did I mention that I have never yet, no not once, created a paper craft that I've been pleased to call my own? Okay, I've made a couple of pretty passable Christmas cards but in general, I've no talent, skill or experience at paper crafts. But, I so wanted to try my hand at this flower gig. I fancied myself creating something like my mother had so beautifully crafted - only on a much smaller scale. Truly, a beginner's attempt.

The more I thought about it - the more intimadated I became. I thought perhaps I'd make a fabric ATC...but I let myself run out of time. I thought about it and worried about it, considered this design and that; looked all over the web for designs I might copy and finally simply had to "do SOMETHING." My swap was late to go into the mail, and then returned as I'd copied the address incorrectly. By the time my item was returned, I'd received my swap in the mail.

This is what I created


I almost didn't put it into the mail that second time around. Almost. But then I remembered this. My mother was doing flowers for a very large wedding. She asked me to help. We sat, she and I, in the empty hall behind the church where the affair was to take place. I watched her and I sweated. With just a few twists of her wrist, reaching here, tying there, grabbing this and that, she created just perfect bouquets and arrangements. She must have seen me struggle, she must have sensed my doubt. I knew well enough about floral tape and wire and how to technically create a bouquet. But! Hers were so beautiful! Finally, time running out, and exasperated with my hesitation she said to me (with more than a slight edge to her voice), "Relax, LeeAnn! How can you go wrong with flowers and ribbon?"

Indeed.

1 comment:

  1. glad to see my ATC was posted in your blog and I love your pancy atc too! great job!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee