I suppose that I should wait and see what others are writing before I jump headlong into this post. While I wait, I'm contemplating alternative titles for this post. Some of the possibilities are:
You're Kidding, Right?
Have you lost your mind?
Can I be reading this right?
We're not in Kansas anymore
Where have all the flowers gone?
Where is that ancient email that made it's way around about all the things I survived as a child in the 50s and 60s?
How come I'm not in charge here?
Suck it up Soldier! (courtesy of my daughter)
And I'm back to, "You're kidding, right?"
I keep reading it over, and in the morning, forthwith, I shall surely find that this was posted as sarcasm. Some things are just too dumb to comment. I'd read all about this legislation on half a dozen crafting blogs; it's the last thing I expected to see come up on a library blog site. I'm dumbfounded! I expected crafters might just have to go around and be goofy and add a disclaimer to their products stating that the item is not intended as a toy - but can you imagine, a sign, right above the Dr. Seuss books, "These items are not intended for use by children."
“The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s interpretation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, which lowers the permissible level of lead in children’s products and imposes certification requirements, may require libraries to limit access to their children’s collections or have them tested for lead content. The new law becomes effective February 10.” (http://www.librarystuff.net/2009/01/15/ala-seeks-exemption-for-childrens-books-from-anti-lead-law/)
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




The whole of this CPSIA is just ridiculous. Did no one think about what they were doing when they wrote it? When was the last time you heard of a child getting lead poisoning from reading a book? Unbelievable.....
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is WOW! The short-sightedness, wrong-headedness of some people some of the time never ceases to amaze me! We've gone Regulation crazy in some areas.
ReplyDeleteWhen will we learn, you can't regulate everything, living on tip-toes.
Will we outlaw human touch because you could pass along a germ?
Did you know that Little League coaches can no longer touch the runners as they pass the bases? And, as a substitute teacher recently, I was urged never to touch the children, not even a hand on the shoulder! Sometimes I think, "I must not have heard/read it right."
ReplyDelete