Saturday, January 17, 2009

Maybe I am a knitter






I almost didn't post photos of these finished projects. I just do not have a knack for taking photos. Or, maybe it's the camera. Or, the Seattle clouds. Even so, I had such fun with these little pouches that I wanted to crow some. They are by no means, perfect, or even close. But! I learned so much in the process. I learned a bit about different kinds of cotton, I learned about different kinds of needles. I switched, for the blue/green pouch, from the bamboo needles that everyone else seems to love, to the needles my grandmother used. Remember aluminum needles that made that wonderful clicking sound while grandma sped through afghan after afghan? The yarn slides, the clicking gave me a hypnotic rhythm and I loved every minute. I'm still working on smiling, or at least not frowning when I knit. It turned into a lovely experience - close to meditating for me. And in the end, I have a protective pouch for my Zune (which I love!)Frannie had given me speakers for a Christmas gift and now, I carry my Zune more faithfully back and forth to work because I've left the new speakers on my desk. My day is so much more ALIVE with a bit of soft music at my desk.

I also turned these out this morning
More icky photographs. They really do look nicer when seen in my hands. I love the purple and orange together in the first pouch. And, I was also pleased that I put these together with nothing much more than scrap fabric. After the pouch was complete I discovered that one of the fabrics had a bit of a hole and likely should have remained scrap - I thought about scrapping it (ha!) and starting again but instead, I think I'll do a bit of stitchery - I hope it turns out in my hands as it is in my head. I've still not got the zipper quite right, but it suffices for a nice little pouch. I use these little pouches for projects and bus fare; my daughters are all happy with their little pouches and they are finding all sorts of surprising uses for them. I really do recommend this for those of you, like me, who are remembering again to sew and knit.

I so often visit the blogs of real artists, women who have perfected their craft. And while I am inspired, I am also often a bit intimidated. I love so much to create, especially to create little gifts, and yet, my skill is not what it should be for a woman my age. These small projects give me a space to remember, a short project resulting in a finished project and not something larger and discouraging which becomes just another "thing" in my closet for the daughters to sort out someday and maybe finish.

That said, I spent the rest of the day working on a potholder which has so many different little bits and pieces that I feel like I should have a completed dress or quilt at the end. Half a day and I'm still not finished; perhaps it will be complete tomorrow. Yet, even that, as frustrating as it is for what should be a simple project, has helped me to remember forgotten things. And, it will be useful, though perhaps less than perfect, when it is finished.

Saoirse is in Indianapolis this weekend. A generous friend provided airfare so that she could visit with her sisters. I've had a lot of wonderful help with the boys in her absence and we've had a relaxing day weekend thus far. I spent a day mixed with crafting and grandma-ing which culminated in a walk in the mysterious darktime and hot chocolate. Tomorrow I'll tell you about a wealth of good things and I hope you have just as many or more wonderful gifts in your life too. ~Lee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lee,
    You ARE a knitter! I also knitted for the first time in about 20 years this week. I am working on frowning whilst I knit (I currently stick my tongue out!) Once I master the frowning, I'll try smiling ;-)
    I look at the work others do in awe and then remember that they started somewhere too. I have to focus on being happy with my small projects, each one a little more challenging than the next, knowing that I'll build up, eventually, hopefully, to the BIG ones (making a quilt is a big one to me).
    Thanks for visiting my blog. You were right on the button, both the blogs you suggested were already bookmarked. I can tell you are a very good librarian!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee