Saturday, April 5, 2008

Another New Thing



Well! Do I need to say anything more? Definitely, getting a photo of these two ladies was the more difficult portion of the project! These are my first attempts - it seems so very much that I do these days is a first attempt. Not quite what I thought life would be at this age - but so much fun! The faces aren't quite right, I know - I will get better and I sure hope that my swap partner is understanding and more interested in the fun that I had than in perfection. I thought the piercings onthe eyebrows were way oversized but Mr Darling said, "Nope, when you see folks with eyebrow piercing, that's ALL you can look at when you face them!" So, I suppose oversized is fitting, eh?

Now...here's the real substance of the post. I recall sometime, in the I'm sure not too distant past, when I believed that needle threaders were for yoyos. Well wind me up and walk the dog because now I believe that the needle threader is your friend! And should I mention that getting the needle threader through the eye of the needle was not all that much less difficult than getting the thread through the needle? I suppose this answers my internal query about joining up for the Midlife Bloggers group - I have this feeling that I am really a bit past midlife, yes?

Still, making these little dollies was great fun and I felt so childish and I can't wait to make up a few more and get lots better at it. Despite all their imperfections, they look lovely hanging above my desk and I'm not sure I'll really want to swap them! One I shall give to Kael's mother, who sometimes seems to be past her Goth stage. When I told her the plan to create these dolls she only laughed. Somehow it made us closer and turned a difficult past time into a lovely memory; and it mysteriously brought in a little bit of tenderness and affection. I wonder if my mother would have liked to make a little hippie girl doll and if that might have helped her appreciate and understand me a little bit more? I like to think so.

4 comments:

  1. Lee, these are BEAUTIFUL! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them and your blog. You are definitely in our demographic. It only starts at 40, you know. Where it ends--I think that's totally up to the individual. I myself am a couple of decades past that! I'm off to put your url on our blogroll. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your blog. Thank you for visiting mine. You might like one of my older blog entries - "I wish I could sew like my mother."
    I have crocheted tableclothes and babies blankets but that's about it for any crafting skills. I admire anyone who can sew. My mother is so skilled at it that it was hard for her to be patient enough to teach me.
    I also saw that you've read A New Earth. I finished it over the weekend and enjoyed it and found a lot I agree with and a lot that opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. candelaria! I wanted to visit your blog and speak about New Earth, but I can't figure out by the nick which url. What am I missing? (Clanging myself in the head, I'm sure it's obvious!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee