Friday, May 23, 2008

Lessons the Microwave Taught Me

This is a make-something-bigger-when it's really very small post. I'm not sure why I thought of this on this cold Friday morning (yes I am, tsk tsk little white lies). Remember those days, maybe today, when you complained and crabbed-assed about doing the dishes? Well...I, cool, grown-up lady that I am, no longer complain about doing the dishes. Or, truth told, very many chores that I have to do at all. I find other things to complain about but the dishes, the dusting, sweeping and the like no longer bother me at all. I had an aha..one I share frequently with my children.

Most of my life we did not have a microwave - something about organic produce, tofu and beansprouts just did not gel with microwave. Then, I woke up in my new life, where I had a microwave and frequently that microwave is used to do very small little jobs, two minutes or so. Now, what do you do when you're waiting for a two minute treat to pop out of your microwave. Do you stand there and watch it? I did, fascinated, I tried to see if MY internal counting of the passing seconds kept pace with the machine's internal clock. Once I'd mastered this skill I grew bored and looked around my world for new and challenging tasks. Ahem. There they were; not far away. Yeah. Uh huh. And, I discovered that I can unload and usually put away most of a full dishwasher in less than three minutes. I discovered that I can sweep the kitchen in less than three also. I can do a sink of dishes, rinse and fuss with how they are stacked in less than three minutes. I can even make it to the closest bathroom, wipe the sink and tidy up before that dinger dings. Since that first aha! I've discovered whole bunches of things I can do in less than three minutes. Lately I've moved on to the three minute stretch, a prayer or several, even a few yoga poses that I never, ever seen to find time to do.

This morning, I was waiting for my little dinger to dink. There were no dishes to wash, floor was passable and bathroom is for later tonight - nothing to do! Stretch? Already did that. Meditate? Umm too edgy this morning (my car blew up last night so I'm a little moody shall we say). What? What? Stand silent for three minutes?

Do you know that you can almost, if you're not too fussy, pack your lunch in less than three minutes? Yup. Yogurt, orange, leftover spaghetti and a couple of graham crackers and a few pepper slices. Done. Saved myself an $8 lunch - in less than three minutes. I guess I have to add that to the list of things I can't complain about. Pretty soon I'll be practically a saint!

Hope you have a fabulous weekend! ~LeeA
Who was very sweet and left off all the things her ex husband could do in less than three minutes

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! You saved the best comment for last.

    I still don't use the microwave much. My contest is to see how much I can get come between commericals. I've also seen how many tasks I can squeeze in when my friend Pattie claims she'll be here to pick me up in 5 minutes. (Pattie's 5 minutes, means 10-15.)

    Glad to see I'm not alone in doing these sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so funny. As soon as a commercial comes on, I jump up off the couch and do something. And I also unload the dishwasher when the microwave is running. Or clean the counter. Or throw away some forgotten about leftover from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee