This morning I saw instead, "I need a beer." How does that sign make you feel? I saw this sign this morning and it made me angry. Sad. I want those signs to maintain an illusion. An illusion which says, “I will never be where you stand.” But, I already know that it’s closer to possible than I’d ever have dreamed. And that frightens me. What would my sign say? “Middle-aged lady, spent too much money on fabric and books, needs food?”
If I look deeper, I want those signs so that I can maintain my moral superiority; the safe illusion that I have plenty to share. I must be doing things right, I have a house, food, a job. Thus,I can pass out my dollar (You pathetic, not-so-smart-fellow). I seldom look into eyes, or speak when I hand over my small bits of cash. No doubt, the sign's owner felt some moral superiority over his companions; at least he was being honest. The same moral superiority I sometimes feel, maybe?
I remember in my much younger days (insert grin), arguing this: Jesus told us only to give alms. Jesus did not urge us to interrogate the recipient. I argued that the giving was for the giver; an act of obedience to the Master, an act of compassion and love; it softened our hearts. I was raised by a mother who instilled in me what she says came from C.S. Lewis. She insisted that Lewis teaches that if you are comfortable in the social class in which you live; you are not giving enough. She usually brought this up when I complained that I could not give my tithe. I chewed up my Mother’s words, and others. I was enamored of Vincent Van Gogh who was said to give even the shoes on his feet to beggars. I looked to Mother Theresa, keeping her image on my desk .
Now, I'm not so sure. As I grow older I am less certain about many things. I
Maybe I was just glad this morning to keep my dollar. I don't know.
P.S. A link for everyone to visit




No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments are welcome. Like all of you, I thrive on them. I do not ask that you agree, I do not ask that you even understand; but I like to know that you have been here. ~Lee